Netbooks have become increasingly poplar over the past year, and it has become apparent over the past few weeks that having a ‘pool’ one would be very useful for the business for a few reasons:
- Rich (our IT manager) can take it when he is away from home in case he needs remote access ‘in case of emergency’
- I can use it when travelling on business and holiday to work more efficiently than I can do on my Nokia e90, particularly on the train.
- My co-diretor can use it when overseas or on client visits.
My criteria are:
- it must be a small and light netbook type device
- it must have 3g support, as in many places there just isnt wifi
- it must run ubuntu, preferably the ubuntu UNR version designed for netbooks
I’ve really struggled to fit this brief, as there sem to be so few netbooks with 3g. The Acer Aspire One A110-A 3G seems possible, but it does not ship with ubuntu and seems quote dear. There is a Asus Eee PC 3.5g modem listed on its website, but I cannt see anywhere to buy it.
The idea of a small, SSD drive netbook device just for mobile use is quite attractive, but it must come with 3g to make it viable for me. Can anybody recommend such a device?