Mercian Labels takes its wider social responsibilities as a business seriously, and is committed to continuous improvement to create sustainable labelling solutions.
We are proud of our environmental credentials, in that the vast majority of our labels are produced from recyclable materials and we run our operations to reduce, reuse and recycle our waste streams.
Sustainable forests are used for our paper supplies – Our self adhesive paper labels and backing papers are produced from either recycled paper or paper harvested from sustainable forests.
We specify recyclable plastics in preference to non recyclables – We use recyclable PP (polypropylene) for most of our synthetic (plastic) labels except where the technical requirements prevent this.
We use environmentally friendly water based adhesives – We and our suppliers use water based acrylic based adhesives for the vast majority of our applications, and refrain from using solvent based adhesives (containing high levels of VOCs) for the vast majority of our applications, except very high performance applications where it is absolutely necessary (<1% of production by volume).
We actively minimise our carbon footprint by:
- Using public transport wherever possible for long distance journeys:
- Not providing company cars unless they are absolutely essential (1 as of 1/1/16):
- Using a pooled courier system to ship our goods to our customers, which is far more fuel efficient than dedicated and fuel thirsty own company transport.
We conserve energy wherever possible including:
- Operating from a modern fuel efficient building.
- Turning off appliances when not in use and use timers where appropriate.
- Using rechargeable batteries for all mobile appliances.
Waste minimisation and recycling
We fully supports the waste management hierarchy – , giving priority to avoidance and reduction of waste, reuse, recycling/composting, and then other means of recovering value, such as deriving energy from residual waste-in that order. Accordingly,we base the planning and implementation of new business developments and minimisation strategy on this hierarchy.
Specifically, we aim to:
- Reduce the annual production of general waste
- Increase energy efficiency and reduce energy usage
- Continue to improve procedures to reduce waste production at source.
We recognise the environmental impact of the production and disposal of waste and the regulatory responsibilities of the company with regards to waste. We aim to fully comply with our legal duty of care for all waste produced, ensuring that it is disposed of in a safe manner.
We reduce, re-use and recycle waste where possible. eg
- We bulk purchase paper based materials only from sustainable forest sources.
- We recycle waste include non adhesive paper, cardboard.
- We return toner cartridges to suppliers for re-filling where possible
- We reduce printing and paper waste through monitoring systems.
- We re-use redundant printed paper for internal work or shedded office paper and cardboard packaging for product packaging.
- We always use environmentally friendly water based inks by default and only use organic solvents where technically necessary and minimise their use.
- We minimise paper use by storing information digitally rather than paper files.
- We have a “minimal replacement strategy”, whereby we extend the life of all computers, using old machines for development or stripping them for spares.
- We send zero to landfill and convert 100% of our waste to ‘waste to energy’ fuel for the manufacture of cement
- We use software to reduce our carbon footprint
- We are advocates and users of community driven linux based open source software that is more environmentally friendly because software can be controlled to make computers consume less electricity.
- We never pollute the environment
- We store our raw materials and wastes safely in accordance with the law, paying for our waste inks to be safely recycled by a specialist contractor.
- We support local community projects and activities that in particular support entrepreneurship in society.
- We donate redundant stock to local schools, playgroups and creches for creative play by children.
- Ensure all employees know and understand the policy and what is expected of them.
- Comply with environmental legislation, regulations and government guidance.
- Constantly seek to improve our environmental performance.
- Delegate responsibility for Environmental improvement to a Company Director
We never participate in bribery – we prohibit the offer, giving or acceptance of bribes, gifts, hospitality or expenses by employees or other parties involved that could influence the outcome of our business transactions. We may occasionally give and accept legal gifts of small items of limited value (usually under £50). We may not give or accept valuable or regular gifts including hospitality.
Our suppliers must:
- comply with all applicable laws and regulations of the country where operations are undertaken
- respect for human rights, and no employee shall suffer harassment, physical or mental punishment, or other forms of abuse.
- ensure that wages and working hours will, as a minimum, comply with all applicable wage and hour laws, and rules and regulations, including minimum wage, overtime and maximum hours in the country concerned.
- not use of forced or compulsory labour, and employees shall be free to leave employment after reasonable notice.
- not use child labour, and specifically there will be compliance with relevant International Labour Organization (ILO) standards.
- respect for the right of employees to freedom of association and recognition of employees’ rights to collective bargaining, where allowable by law.
- ensure that safe and healthy working conditions will be provided for all employees.
- ensure that operations will be carried out with care for the environment and will include compliance with all relevant legislation in the country concerned.
- ensure that all products and services will be delivered to meet the quality and safety criteria specified in relevant contract elements, and will be safe for their intended use.
- ensure that business will be conducted with integrity. There will be no payments, services, gifts, entertainment or other advantages offered or given to any supplier’s employee or third party which are intended to influence the way in which the supplier’s employee or third party goes about his or her duties. Similarly, suppliers will not offer or give such payments, services, gifts, entertainment or other advantages to any supplier which are intended to influence the way in which the supplier goes about his or her duties. There will be no actual or attempted money laundering.
- take responsibility to require adherence to the principals of this Code from their direct suppliers and exercise diligence in verifying that these principles are being adhered to in their supply chains.